This is the best homemade dark chocolate strawberry cake, rich dark and decadent this is the perfect chocolate cake for any occasion. What’s not to love in a dark chocolate and strawberry cake, its a layered dark chocolate sponge cake filled with luscious strawberry compote and dark chocolate ganache. It’s a very easy cake has a few extra steps but belive me the steps are simple and wont take too much of your time, the end result is a super delicious dark chocolate strawberry cake.
This cake is easy very easy to put together, but it does need a little time to make, while you bake the cake work on the strawberry compote and chocolate ganache. By the time the cake cools you should have your compote and ganache ready and all you have to do is assemble it. There its that easy… now i don’t say it doesn’t require a few steps it is a long recipe but once you get your cake done there isn’t much left to do except joyously stir a pot of strawberry compote goodness and melt some delicious dark chocolate. I am singing with joy now ….. yum yum … the recipe
Ingredients used in this recipe.
Flour used is all purpose flour
Coco Powder I used was Looms and Weaves 100 % natural coco powder. This is what gives the cake delicious depth of flavour.
Butter melted butter preferably salted.
Egg recipe requires just 1 egg
Milk warm to bring the whole batter together.
Vanilla I used a vanilla essence.
Fresh Strawberry Compote made of fresh strawberry, orange juice , icing sugar and cornflour.
Dark Chocolate Ganache dark chocolate and heavy cream.
How to make a Dark Chocolate Strawberry Cake ?
- Sift the flour, sugar , coco powder baking powder, salt keep it aside.
- Melt butter and add the warm milk and vanilla essence.
- Whisk the egg and add in the wet ingredients and then add the dry ingredients mix till there are no lumps. Dont over do the whisking as too much of it could make your cake hard.
- Divide the batter in two 6 inches baking pans and bake at Preheated oven 175°C for 25 to 30 minutes untill skewer comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs.
- Take it out from the oven let it cool down.
- While the cakes are baking we will make the Strawberry Compote and dark chocolate ganache.
Notes and Tips to make this Dark Chocolate Strawberry Cake
- Don’t forget to sift the dry ingredients as this is what will make the cake lighter.
- We need warm milk and butter and not hot as you pour your whisked egg in it, if the milk or butter is too hot the egg will curdle .
- Don’t overmix the batter once the dry ingreidents are added to it as it could turn your cake hard.
- Cool down the cakes completely before you add your ganache and strawberry compote.
- Make sure the strawberries are fresh for the compote.
- Make sure your cornflour is well mixed in the orange juice and there are no lumps.
- The cream for the ganache needs to be lightly steaming before you add the chocolate, if your cream is too hot the chocolate will split.
- Do not use hot cream in your ganache.
- The quality of your chocolate matters as the ganache is just chocolate and cream, a good chocolate will make the ganache silky, creamy and have delicious depth of flavor.
- Sift the flour, sugar , coco powder baking powder, salt keep it aside. Please don’t skip this step as its crucial for the flour to be well mixed with the sugar, coco, baking powder and salt.
- Whisk the egg well and add the melted butter, warm milk and vanilla essence. Give it a good mix, use a hand mixer.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients mix till there are no lumps. Dont over do the whisking as too much of it could make your cake hard.
- Butter and line two 6″ pans with baking paper and bake in a preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or till the skwer when poked into the canter of the cake comes out clean.
- Let it cool down on the wire rack for 20 minutes and then take it out from the pan and let cool down completely on the wire rack.
- Now, take one cake make a dam around it with the chocolate ganache and fill it with the strawberry compote.
- Place the other cake on the top and ice it with the dark chocolate ganache till its well covered in the ganache and then smooth out the edges.
- Dip the strawberry in chocolate or place the whole strawberry on the cake and drizzle with some melted ganache. ENJOY !
- Wash , clean and hull the strawberries, cut them into small peices and mix the cornflour in the orange juice. Now add all the ingredients in a pan and cook over medium heat untill the strawberries have become soft and jammy.
For the Chocolate Ganache
- Break the chocolate into tiny pieces and keep aside. Warm the cream on a stove top just untill it starts to simmer. Take it off the the heat and add the choclate. Cover it and let it sit for 5 minutes. Stir it untill all the choclate has melted. Dont over do the mixing as your chocolate might become grainy and oily due to over mixing. Let it cool down to spreadable consistency.
- Once the cakes have cooled take one of them and fill an icing bag with chocolate ganache and make a dam around it and fill center with the compote. Keep the other cake on top and ice it with the chocolate ganache place the strwberries and drizzle with some melted chocolate ganache. Enjoy !
Okay since you have the whole recipe now why dont you try it and let me know how it went. Would love to hear your feedback.