Eggless almond cake with saffron is a delicious moist cake, light and flavorful it is a cake with Indian flavors. Saffron, honey, cardamom, clove and cinnamon these spices are used in this cake, and this is what gives the cake its unique flavor. This cake is a delight to eat and if you love Indian sweets, you will love this cake, as my mum said it reminded her of rasmalai. Now, what’s better than a cake reminding you of rasmalai. Try it and you won’t be disappointed.
I love this cake and you might wonder where I got the idea from I was sitting one day just twiddling my thumb thinking what I could make for Raksha Bandhan when it came upon me to create an eggless almond cake but with an Indian twist. The Indian twist are the spices and the saffron that goes into it and the best part there is almond and semolina flour in the cake which gives it a nice nutty taste. Infact this cake is perfect for Raksha Bandhan, I am sure your brother will love this cake.
Now, Raksha Bandhan is a festival celebrated in India that celebrates the bond between siblings, particularly the relationship between brothers and sisters. The name “Raksha Bandhan” is derived from two words: “Raksha,” which means protection, and “Bandhan,” which means bond or tie. This festival is observed on the full moon day of the Hindu lunar month of Shravana, which usually falls in August. During Raksha Bandhan, sisters tie a sacred thread called a “rakhi” around their brothers’ wrists as a symbol of their love, affection, and protection. In return, brothers offer gifts and promise to protect and support their sisters throughout their lives. This festival is celebrated in India with a lot of gusto, and everyone looks forward to this festival.
Eggless Almond Cake with Saffron is special because of the flavors yes! but even more special because its perfect for Raksha Bandhan. Instead of buying sweets from the market make this cake and surprise your brother, make him feel special and I am sure he will love this cake.
Almond Meal: I made my own almond meal just take the almonds and put them in the grinder, grind them till they are finely ground and if you have a few bits left let them be as they give texture to the cake. Almond meal is the reason the cake tastes nutty and delicious.
Semolina Flour: It’s a good idea to grind the semolina flour too, till it’s fine and powdery. This makes the cake lighter. Semolina gives a nutty flavor to the cake and also acts as a binding agent.
Zest of lime and Orange: once you have zested the lime and orange rub the zest in the flour, this is what gives it that amazing citrusy smell.
Yogurt: Yogurt is a good egg substitute and also gives the cake its light and airy texture. In this recipe I have used Yogurt and then added some baking soda to it this makes the yogurt fluffy, and the end result is a light and airy cake.
Vegetable Oil: the oil makes the cake moist and delicious. Use an oil that is flavorless.
Honey: honey adds a depth of flavor to the final cake, it makes it sweet and delicious.
Spices: cardamom, cloves, cinnamon and saffron added to make the cake extra flavorful.
IMPORTANT STEPS OF THE CAKE
This cake is divided into two steps firstly, you make the cake and secondly, you make the syrup that you spread over the cake. Surprise! Surprise! the syrup is the surprise element of the cake, and this is what brings it together beautifully.
STEP 1: Take the Yogurt and baking soda mix it together and keep aside. Let it fluff up.
STEP 2: measure the all-purpose flour, almond meal and semolina flour whisk and keep it aside.
STEP 3: add the zest of the lime as well as the orange, rub it in the flour nicely and then add the baking powder and the salt, give it a good mix and keep it aside.
STEP 4: add the oil, caster sugar to the now fluffy yogurt also now is the time to add the almond extract and then add the dry ingredients into the yogurt. Give it a good stir.
STEP 5: Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
STEAP 6: while the cake bakes make the syrup, you will need
. Orange Juice
. Caster Sugar
. pinch of saffron
let it simmer and then take it off the heat and let it cool down.
STEP 7: Let the cake cool down for 10 minutes and then poke holes into it.
STEP 8: Pour the syrup over the cake and keep it in the refrigirator.
STEP 9: Once cool, enjoy with some vanilla ice cream or just as it is.
TIPS TO REMEMBER
- Use thick Yogurt for this cake and make sure it’s plain yogurt and not flavored.
- Don’t forget to grind the semolina flour as the finer flour, will tend to give a moist crumb.
- Grind the almonds but make sure not to over grind them as the almonds can release their natural oil and make it almond butter instead of almond meal. Grind in short pulses till you have powdered almond.
- Make sure when you zest the lemon and the orange you dont scrape the white part of the fruit, as thats the part that is better.
- Rub the zest well in the flour as the zest will release its oil and the flour will smell citrusy.
- Mix the wet ingredients well.
- Do not open the door of the oven too frequently to check the cake, open it after 20 minutes of the baking time.
- Once the cake is baked let it sit in the pan for 10 minutes and then take it out and remove its butter paper and place it on the plate and poke holes.
- Spread the syrup slowly over the cake.
- Let it rest in the fridge for about an hour, the flavors will develop more.
- Preheat oven to 180 degree C and line and butter a 6′ round cake tin.
- Take the yogurt and the baking soda mix it well and keep it aside . It will become foamy.
- Now measure the dry ingredients the all-purpose flour, the semolina flour and the almond meal and mix it keep it aside.
- Rub the zest of the lime and the orange in the flour with your hands for a few seconds and then add the baking powder and the salt.
- Add the oil and the caster sugar to the foamy yogurt and mix in the almond essence. Give it a good mix.
- Now add the dry ingredients to the wet. Mix it really well but don’t overdo with the mixing.
- Drop it in the cake tin and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Once a skewer comes out clean, take it out and let it cool down for 10 minutes.
- Poke holes in the cake and keep aside.
- MAKE THE SYRUP
- Pour the orange juice , add the caster sugar, honey, the spices and saffron. Simmer it and keep it aside.
- Once a little cool pour the syrup over the cake with the help of a teaspoon and use the whole syrup till the cake has soaked it all in.
- Keep it in the fridge for an hour to cool down and then Enjoy.!